Sunday, December 23, 2012

Americans Continue to Balloon

"Exercise each day as if your life depends on it" - Dr. Douglas Graham


It is well known that Americans are getting heavier each year.  Numerous studies have proven that the obesity rate in America continues to climb at an alarming rate.  According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 1/3 of U.S. adults are obese.  However, a recent Gallup poll shows that it's not only our actual weight that continues to climb but also our perception of what the "ideal" body weight should be.  According to this poll, in 1990 men said their "ideal" weight was 171 lbs. while men today say their "ideal" weight is 181.  Even worse the average man now weighs 196 lbs.  This is up 16 pounds from 1990.  This trend in weight isn't just restricted to men.  Women now say their "ideal" weight is 138 lbs which is up 9 lbs from 129 lbs in 1990.  The average woman in 1990 weighed 142 lbs and women today say they weigh 160 lbs.  So what's caused this change in the perception of our "ideal" weight?



We've all heard the excuses people have given as to why they cannot workout. No matter what the excuse, bottom line is Americans are getting bigger each year and with this higher weight comes higher risks of health issues such as diabetes, heart disease and cancers.

The Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday always make it more challenging for people to eat healthy, balanced meals.  People load their plates full of turkey, mashed potatoes, pies and anything in between.  They pack on the pounds and just chalk it up to the holidays.  They say they will lose the weight when the new year comes; however, few people actually have success at shedding the pounds.  It is becoming socially acceptable to eat until you can no longer move - which is cause for concern.

Since I am in the beginning stages of my fruitarianism I tend to cheat during the holidays; however, I limit it to just one or two meals.  To ensure that I won't stray too far off from my diet, I visited my local fruit distributor in Nashville to load up on plenty of fresh fruits and veggies before making the trip to Virginia to celebrate the holidays. Instead of making excuses and pretending it's okay to eat unhealthy and gain unnecessary weight, I have chosen to set myself up for success by eliminating potential excuses. I have all the fruit and veggies I need get me through the week, and I will allow myself to have one or two small plates of "holiday" food.  I encourage you to set yourself up for success and eliminate excuses as to why you can't live a healthy lifestyle.

1 comment: