Thursday, February 20, 2014

Going for Gold: Preparing for SC 24 Hour Race

"If you want to achieve a high goal, you're going to have to take some chances." - Alberto Salazar

As the days pass after Delirium, I have finally processed what went right and what went wrong with my race. I understand there are some things you can't control, such as the weather, but other things you can.  I am extremely happy with the first 100 miles of the race but what I am disappointed in is the fact that I gave up on running so easily after that.  Even though I gave it everything I had, as soon as I crossed the 100 mile mark I was content with walking.

Luckily for me I have a chance at redemption by running in the inaugural South Carolina 24 Hour Race.  This race is organized by Ray Krolewicz on March 15th and is intended as a last chance qualifier for the U.S. team.  Taking what I learned from Delirium, I fully expect to cover the 135 miles (which is on a track) needed for qualifying.  What is unforeseen is whether or not I can cover enough miles to be selected. With 4 of the 6 spots already claimed by automatic qualifiers, that only leaves 2 spots left on the team.  Looking at the list of qualifiers and their mileage, I would have to cover 150+ miles in order to even have a chance at selection.  What does this mean for me?  I have just over 2 weeks to train my ass off and hope on race day that I have a good day.  This will be one of the toughest challenges I've ever attempted, but I do not think it is impossible.  Anyone that knows me knows I like to set high goals for myself.  I do not set unattainable goals just lofty goals, knowing that even if I do not reach my goal, I am at least pushing myself to new levels.

I am excited to get another shot at qualifying for the U.S. team. As always, I appreciate all of my support team! I am especially grateful to my wife who encourages me to keep pushing forward and attempting the unthinkable. Thanks for the motivation and positivity!


No comments:

Post a Comment